Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: Local bands that SHOULD have made it

  1. #41
    Inactive Member Carl I.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2003
    Posts
    4,786
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pedaljets, don't forget them.

    Kim is still in Chicago, eh? Ah, she had her chance and she blew it. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  2. #42
    Inactive Member Carl I.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2003
    Posts
    4,786
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by glamfly:
    From my area?
    Talks Cheap/Queeny Blast Pop
    and of course:
    Mother Love Bone
    <font size="4" face="Arial">Mother Love Bone should have been Gods. They would have been also, if Andy hadn't died. Think about how different the music landscape of the 90's would have been had he not died. That death changed everything. You want to blame the death of Glam on something, don't point the finger at Nirvana, point it at Andrew Woods death and the eventual flooding of the market with mediocre "Glam" bands. MLB was about to take Glam into a VERY unique and original realm. They had the next David Lee Roth fronting them, and he wanted to be a ROCK STAR, unlike the guy who took his place.

  3. #43
    Inactive Member glamfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 11th, 2003
    Posts
    965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Bruce was a pretty good friend of a friend of mine. I can't remember what the deal was exactly. I think he was actually kinda getting burned out in MLB, but was gonna go along for the ride, but then Andrew died, and I guess that was his oppurtunity to do something else. I think he was a college graduate, and an artist too. I know my buddy is a photographer, so I don't know.

  4. #44
    Inactive Member Carl I.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2003
    Posts
    4,786
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I hit it off with Bruce really well. The two of us just hung out talking for the longest time. He wanted me to hook up with him in Rockford so that we could exchange numbers and everything, since we had spent a good amount of time trying to locate a pen that night to do just that. I never made it out to that show though. But we had even talked about playing together musically. There was just that kind of connection, ya know? I always wondered how people in bands actually became friends with people who are "just fans" as they roll through town, and that night I realized there is just a connection you can reach. I spent a little while after that trying to locate him, but never got anywhere. I knew he had something to do with War Babies and he had the band Love Battery, but I never saw either band tour through here. Now days, I am sure that night is not even a hazy memory for him. Super cool guy though.

  5. #45
    Inactive Member AlAlvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 24th, 2003
    Posts
    279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Carl I.:
    Pedaljets, don't forget them.

    Kim is still in Chicago, eh? Ah, she had her chance and she blew it. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    <font size="4" face="Arial">You always pull a band that I forget about. Now I'm tying to remember the band that Mike from the Pedal Jets started with the drummer of Kill Whitey that was great as well.

    Kim is in a band called the Grendlings? I think. And Mark Smirl one of the guitarist and the lead singer from Stick is in Chicago as well running a candle store called Waxman's

    And speaking of the Pedal Jets that reminds me of a punk band called the Micronauts that had the guitarist from the Pedal Jets in it. They were underground fav of a lot of bands and even William Burroughs wrote a song for them.

    And on the MLB thing it not only would have changed the music of the 90's but it would have changed the face of music today. Apple i think could have been a WAY BETTER album than what was actually released if he was around to actually finish it.

  6. #46
    Inactive Member chrisdamien's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2005
    Posts
    572
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, knowing me I of course think most of the Hollywood scene of the 90's should have made it.
    Heart Throb Mob, Queeny Blast Pop and The Glamour Punks in paticular.

    Another band that doesn't seem to have been mentioned here is the British band the Jacobites with Nikki Sudden and Dave Kusworth...... way superior to both Dogs D'Amour and the Quireboys in my book, but I guess they were a bit too sloppy for the mainstream audience.

  7. #47
    Inactive Member glamfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 11th, 2003
    Posts
    965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, Love Battery has always been pretty big around Seattle, but I don't think they leave town much, if ever. I think they all have regular jobs, and still do it for the love of music. I haven't really heard much from the Love Battery camp as of late, but they still pop up and do a show once in awhile I think.

  8. #48
    Inactive Member Darryl Wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2005
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by chrisdamien:
    Another band that doesn't seem to have been mentioned here is the British band the Jacobites with Nikki Sudden and Dave Kusworth...... way superior to both Dogs D'Amour and the Quireboys in my book, but I guess they were a bit too sloppy for the mainstream audience.
    <font size="4" face="Arial">Ah, the Jacobites ...... great band, though I always struggled a bit with a lot of the stuff Nikki sang. I saw on his site that he's working on a book about the Birmingham scene, so expect references to Gunfire Dance, Suicide Blonde et al.

    Weirdly there's a track on Graham Coxon's last album that's very, very reminiscent of the Jacobites - acoustic-based and with a similar atmosphere and production.

  9. #49
    Inactive Member chrisdamien's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2005
    Posts
    572
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Another Jacobites fan!!!:-)Cool!

    I gig with Nikki sometimes when I am in Berlin visiting my girlfriend. Was in the studio with him last and laid down some guitar and backing vocals.

    They are both still highly active and have released great solo records too.

    Nikki has a wierd voice that needs a lot of getting used to LOL, but he has a great sense for detail so I guess his book will probably be really interessting once it's out.

  10. #50
    Inactive Member Darryl Wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2005
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've only got the albums they released in the 80s - some cracking stuff amongst them. Son Of A French Nobleman, Big Store, Country Girl ...

    I've also got the Bounty Hunters albums, but haven't got any Kusworth stuff since All The Heartbreak Stories. Have you heard the Tenterhooks at all? His website's quite interesting as well; like Nikki he gets involved on the forum.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •